What You Can Do
You are important to your legislative representatives! They appreciate hearing from the public as they address the issues that affect Washington state.
- Call legislators directly and let them know your top priorities.
- Send legislators handwritten letters or emails with your concerns and opinions. Use the Legislative hotline often: 1-800-562-6000.
- Share this information with friends and neighbors and encourage them to contact their legislators.
- Remind legislators that the funding of public education demands predictable funding and competitive salaries to keep competent teachers in our state.
- Legislators are looking for solutions to complex funding issues. Share your ideas on how to address problems.
Effective Tips for Communicating with Your Legislators
- Establish your position and follow through with letters, emails, and calls to the hotline.
- Contact legislators who are chairs of key committees such as Education, Ways & Means or Appropriations and let them know your opinion. Follow bills that are introduced and remind legislators of your priorities.
- Meet with your legislators at Town Hall Meetings or personally in Olympia. Let them know what your key issues are. Get to know their staff.
- Collaborate with community groups and establish a joint communication plan.
- Be persistent!
- Say thanks! Recognize your local legislator's hard work.