Ways you can help your child in reading. . .
When it is hard for your child to write or talk about information from text, here are some stems that will help start their thinking process
- Read to your child every day and vary the type of material.
- Encourage your child to use a new word several times to reinforce its meaning and use.
- Look up the meaning of interesting words you encounter.
- Ask your child to summarize the main points after you read something.
- Provide 20-30 minutes for your child to read independently, read to a sibling, or read to you every day.
- Discuss reactions to different types of books.
- Encourage your child to participate in community programs that include reading and writing.
- Encourage your child to try new types of genres and books.
- Let your child see you and other family members enjoy reading regularly.