Lifeguard Training ($175)
Become certified as an American Red Cross Lifeguard. Students must be 15 years old by the end of the course. All class sessions must be attended to pass the class. Interested persons will need to schedule a time to complete the prerequisite swim test prior to the start of the course. Those who successfully pass the precourse will be able to register for any upcoming lifeguard training course.
Dates and Times:
- June 20-24 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (registration deadline: Wednesday, June 15)
- July 18-22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (registration deadline: Friday, July 15)
- August 8-12 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (registration deadline: Friday, August 15)
Lifeguard Training Precourse Testing (Free)
Interested in taking the Lifeguard Training Course? Contact the pool to set up a time to take the prerequisite test. Students who successfully complete the precourse test will be able to register for any upcoming lifeguard training course offered by the LSSD Pool. The following skills will be tested:
- Swim 300 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Goggles may be used for this portion of the test.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates will place their hands on their hips, under their armpits, or in the air.
- Complete a timed swim with a 10 pound diving brick.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards.
- Surface dive to retrieve a 10 pound brick from the bottom.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to the starting point. Both hands must stay on the brick and the brick must remain partially out of the water.
- When reaching the starting point, exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Lifeguard Instructor ($225)
Become certified to teach American Red Cross Lifeguard Training and other courses. Students must be 17 years old by the end of the course. Participants must be currently certified as an American Red Cross Lifeguard and pass a prerequisite test on the first day of the course.
Dates and Times:
- July 11-15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (registration deadline: Friday, July 1)
- August 15-19 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (registration deadline: Friday, August 5)