Skip To Main Content

Kitchen Permits and Information

Permit Information

Temporary Event Reminders

Temporary food establishment permit fees are determined by the types of food being served and the type of processes used to prepare the food. To determine which temporary food permit you need, use the checklist on the first page of the Application for Temporary Food Establishment Permit.

  • Turn in applications 14 days ahead of the Temporary Event to avoid a late fee. Postmarked dates will not be recognized. We accept applications in person, by mail or create an account to submit temporary food service applications online.
  • Make sure employees have a food worker card and that they are available during an inspection.
  • A hand washing station must be at each booth.  It must have warm water in an insulated container with a free-flowing spigot, soap, paper towels and a wastewater bucket to catch grey water.
  • Sanitizer must be mixed properly and used when necessary.
  • As always, No Bare Hand Contact with ready-to-eat foods.
  • Mobile Food Units that have not been inspected and approved for use by the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries will not be permitted by the Snohomish County Health Department. Please visit the L&I Food Trucks & Trailers page for more information.

For more information, go to our Temporary Food Establishment page. 

Source: Snohomish Health District - SCHOOL Food for Thought Newsletter 2019, August Issue

Temporary Permits for PTA Events

We often get questions about the need for a temporary permit for a PTA or other sponsored event involving the school.

Temporary permits are required for any specialized school event, publicly advertised, that involves food preparation or service to the public by individuals that are not school kitchen personnel. The public would be considered anyone who is outside of the school population. The school population is the students, staff and the families of students and staff. If the public is invited and they are charged a fee for food, a temporary event permit is required. If the public is invited and the food is given away without a charge, a temporary permit is still required.

Temporary permits must be purchased 14 days before the event from the Snohomish Health District.

The special event could be under the school kitchen annual permit if a kitchen staff member is on-site to monitor the event as the designated Person in Charge.
The exception to that is if a barbecue is planned for the school, outside of the main kitchen area, a temporary permit will always be required. 

If you have any questions, call the Snohomish Health District at 425.339.5250 or go to our Temporary Food Booth page on our website.

Source: Snohomish Health district -


Whether you are planning a wedding, family reunion, or holiday party, make sure your family and guests are safe during your next big event by hiring a licensed caterer. Food that is not properly prepared, transported, and served can lead to food poisoning (technically called foodborne illness) - an unhappy ending to any special event.


Licensed caterers must:

  • Have a catering permit that is separate from their restaurant permit
  • Prepare food in a kitchen that is approved and regularly inspected by the Snohomish Health District
  • Be trained to handle food safely
  • Have the proper equipment to prepare and transport food safely

Additional Information

For questions on whether a caterer is permitted, please contact the Food Safety Program at 425-339-5250.

Source: Snohomish Health District -