Nutrition Education Resources
Fueling Learning with School Meals
- Medical authorities and nutrition researchers have documented that meeting nutritional requirements throughout childhood is essential for full intellectual development.
- Undernutrition impacts the behavior of children, their school performance, and their overall cognitive development (Tufts University Statement, 1998).
- Participants in the "School Breakfast Program and School Performance" study had improved test performance and reduced tardiness and absence rates
- When school breakfasts were made available to low-income students in a Harvard study their attendance, grades, behavior, and emotional adjustment improved.
- Students who participated in a Minnesota Breakfast Study had an increase in math grades and reading scores, increased student attention, reduced nurse visits, and improved student behaviors.
- Action for Healthy Kids A national nonprofit organization dedicated to addressing the epidemic of overweight, undernourished and sedentary youth by focusing on changes in schools. Join the Washington State Team to improve children's nutrition and increase physical activity, which will in turn improve their readiness to learn.
- Choose My Plate (USDA) A wealth of nutrition information.
- Food Allergy, Research and Education Nonprofit organization dedicated to allergy awareness.