Home of the Vikings

Lake Stevens School District has numerous resources available to students, including:


Student Assistance Program

The Student Assistance Program (SAP) team is available at Cavelero Mid High School (CMHS) and Lake Stevens High School (LSHS). The team is made up of people who are here to help you find the help you want. The team includes school counselors, an administrator, the school nurse, an intervention specialist, school psychologist and the mental health support specialist. Anyone can ask for help. Asking for help is sometimes called making a referral. You can make an anonymous referral for a friend or family member who goes to school at CMHS or LSHS. You can also refer yourself. 

Intervention Specialist Services

Steve Pitkin is part of the SAP team. He serves both Cavelero and Lake Stevens High School. Mr. Pitkin provides confidential services for students and families, including individual and group sessions, screening and community referrals. Specializing in substance abuse related topics; he also works with other connected issues. 

Students who have received a discipline sanction in the areas of nicotine, alcohol, or other drugs will have an opportunity to receive support services from Mr. Pitkin. He also provides a Family Info Night once per month, which is open to any parent. Mr. Pitkin has been the LSHS Healthy Youth Survey coordinator since 2006. 

Steven Pitkin, CCDC  Substance Abuse Prevention/Intervention Specialist
Office 425-335-1571 ext. 2244 or Cell 425-308-6375

Mental Health Support Services

The SAP team is available to help you if you are struggling with mental health issues. We are here to support you in finding the help you want. Jennifer Hudson is our Student Mental Health Support Specialist and she is a Student Assistance Program team member. She is here to assist you by providing group and individual support services. She is here to listen, help you navigate support systems, and help you move toward the change you are seeking.  

Ms. Hudson can help caregivers understand helpful community resources and learn new ways to cope with student mental health struggles. When it is appropriate, she can work with a student and their family so that they can better communicate and can hear each other’s wants and needs. You can contact her by calling 425-335-1630 ext. 3735 or emailing her at Her cell phone number is 425-551-0578. For confidentiality reasons, please do not text personal information.

If you are in crisis, need help right now and need to talk: call the Crisis Line 425-258-4357 or 1-800-584-3578. You can also chat online

Student Mental Health
Overwhelming circumstances can lead to feelings, thoughts and behaviors that are not helpful. Sometimes when we get stuck in a cycle of thinking, feeling, and doing unhelpful things we can develop depression, anxiety, and/or other mental health problems. When someone in our family has a mental health problem we are more likely to inherit genetic risk factors for mental health issues. Environmental factors also play a role in negative thinking patterns and feelings of overwhelm. If you are struggling please remember—you are not alone, there is hope, and there is help available.

Ways to Get Help
There are ways people get help with mental health issues. Counseling, Medication Management, and Movement/Mindfulness can help reduce symptoms and restore balance.


Mental health therapy/counseling provides a neutral and well trained ally.  

  • This person can help you navigate your thoughts, feelings and behaviors.  
  • This person can help you take control of your overwhelm and can help you find a voice so that you can ask for what you want and need.  
  • This person can help your loved ones so that they know what helps you and what doesn’t.  

Medication Management:

  • Start with your Primary Care Physician (PCP). Schedule an appointment and discuss your symptoms. Sometimes it is helpful to ask for a referral to a Psychiatrist who works with adolescents.


  • Sometimes we have to fake it until we make it and force ourselves to be involved with physical activity. 
  • Yoga is a great form of physical activity that helps us with mindfulness.
  • Mindfulness is the ability to focus on this very moment. We can slow down and not worry about the past or predict the future. 

Getting into counseling
Getting into counseling takes some work on your part.  

  • You will need to find out what kind of insurance you have.  
  • You will need to contact a service provider that takes your insurance and schedule an appointment.

If you don’t know what kind of insurance you have you need to find someone who knows.  

  • If you call 888-693-7200 and they can look up your information and determine whether or not you have insurance like Apple Health (also known as Medicaid). Apple Health is a program run through the State of Washington. More information
  • If your caregiver has private insurance through their job or insurance that they have purchased privately:
    • You will need to talk to your caregiver and find out what kind of coverage you have.  
    • You will need to get a copy of your insurance card or your caregiver will need to call their Human Resources department to get information regarding who to contact for more information regarding accessing mental health services.

If you don’t have insurance and you want to sign up for coverage you will need to apply for insurance. There are programs through the State of Washington that can help you get coverage. If you are living independently and have a limited income you can sign up for coverage by yourself. If you are living with your caregivers then they are often the ones who complete this process.

Here are helpful links:

Contacting a service provider:
Some insurance plans require that you find a therapist/counselor within their approved network. A network contains people who have been screened by the insurance company and have gone through a process to become a part of the network. State insurance like Apple Health or Medicaid also have providers who are in network.

For state insurance like Apple Health or Medicaid 

For private insurance through an employer or a plan that has been purchased independently 

Resources & Links for Adolescents and Parents:

Local Mental Health Provider List



Child Advocacy Center:

National Child Traumatic Stress Network:

Department of Children and Family Services:

Child Protective Services:

Is this abuse:

Mental Health

Seattle Children’s Hospital:


Mental Health:

American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry:

The Balanced Mind Foundation:

National Alliance on Mental Illness:

Mental Health America:

Minding Your Mind:



Sexually Transmitted Diseases/Infections:


It Gets Better Project:

Sex Education by Teens, For Teens:


Stop Bullying:


Safe Schools Coalition:

Community Health Dentists:

Community Health Doctors:

Local Therapists:



Need Insurance:

Social and Health Services:

WA Health Plan Finder:;

About Medicaid:

Teen pregnancy/parenting:



Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder:

Military Family Resources

Home Base Program:

Resources for Military and Veteran Families:  

National Resource Directory:

Sexual/Physical Abuse

Is this abuse?

Child Advocacy Center, Dawson Place:

Snohomish County Domestic Violence Services:

Department of Children and Family Services:

Child Protective Services:


National Child Traumatic Stress Network:

Celebrities and others with trauma:

For male victims:

For female victims:

Self Care:

Foster Care:

Foster care:

Kinship Care:

Domestic Violence:

Crime Victims Compensation:


YWCA DV Services: 425-258-2766

Snohomish County DV Services: 425-252-2873

10 week in home program (YWCA):

General info regarding YWCA programs offered:

DV services of Snohomish County:

Providence Intervention Center for Assault and Abuse:


Providence Hospital:

Compiled List of grief supports:

Self Harm:

Self Injury (Cornell):

Self Injury Outreach/Support:

Info for Parents (Cornell):

Safe Alternatives Parent Webinar:

Suicide prevention:

SAMHSA: and Suicide Prevention App

Care Crisis Chat:

Suicide Prevention Lifeline:

To Write Love on Her Arms:  

Youth Suicide Prevention:


Social and Health Services:

Lake Stevens Family Center:

Hungry Hearts Foundation:

Housing Hope:

United Way of Snohomish County:   


Cocoon House:

Everett Housing Authority:

Snohomish County Housing Authority:

Domestic Violence Services of Snohomish County:

Gina Anderson, McKinney-Vento Liaison, Lake Stevens School District, 425-335-1582

Parenting Support:

Cocoon House, Project Safe:

Lake Stevens Family Center:

Changes Parent Support Network:

Compiled list of Support Groups:

Snohomish County At Risk Youth:   

At Risk Youth Petition:

Parent Trust:

Parent to Parent:

Developmental Disabilities Resources

Division of Developmental Disabilities: (To apply for DD Services please request an application from your local office.)


Snohomish County Legal Resources:

Team Child:

At Risk Youth:

Juvenile Justice Services

Snohomish County ARY:

Treatment and Programs:

Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention:

Also, check out ITunes or Google Play for Apps.  Search ‘Mental Health’ ‘Coping Tools’ ‘Suicide Prevention’ etc. Make sure to analyze who developed these apps and use critical thinking skills when picking out apps to look at. Many of these can be very helpful but remember they don’t substitute for seeking help from a doctor, mental health counselor or substance abuse counselor.