Homeless Assistance: McKinney-Vento Act
The McKinney-Vento Act is a program designed to assist students and families who have been identified as homeless. This act offers services to students to help in their time of transition and need. To be eligible for assistance the student must meet the following definition:
"Individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence"
Each student situation is different and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. The services offered are meant to be temporary and will stop at the end of each school year. If services are still needed in the next school year, families must reapply with the school district liaison.
How to Tell If You Qualify
Families and/or students who have been:
- In a motel
- In a shelter
- With more than one family in a house, mobile home, or apartment (doubled-up)
- In a car, park, campsite, or similar location
- In transitional housing
- Moving from place to place (couch surfing)
- In someone else's house or apartment with another family
- In a residence with inadequate facilities (no water, heat, electrictiy, etc.)
Enrollment and Transportation
According to the McKinney-Vento act, schools are required to enroll students who are identified as homeless although they may not have the required documents (immunization records, proof of residence, etc.). The student will be enrolled in their school of origin, (or last school attended) unless the parents/guardians request that the student be enrolled in the school that is in the area of their temporary residence. The student will receive transportation to their school of origin even if they are living outside of the district.
- School transportation
- School supplies
- Medical/dental referral/vision or medical coupons
- DSHS services (food stamps/TANF)
- Enrollment records
- Birth certificates
- Immunizations/medical records
The flyer links are temporarily unavailable.
- Parent Poster - English
- Parent Poster - Spanish
For further information, please contact:
School District Liaison for the McKinney-Vento Act
12309 22nd St NE
Lake Stevens, WA 98258