The McKinney-Vento Act is a program designed to assist students and families who have been identified as homeless. This act offers services to students to help in their time of transition and need. To be eligible for assistance the student must meet the following definition:
“Individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence”
Each student situation is different and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. The services offered are meant to be temporary and will stop at the end of each school year. If services are still needed in the next school year, families must reapply with the school district liaison.How to tell if you qualify:
Families and/or students who have been:
Enrollment and Transportation
- Living in a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
- Living on the street
- Living in an abandoned building, trailer, etc.
- Living in a place with inadequate accommodations such as no running water, no kitchen, no proper or safe electricity, etc.
- Doubled up with friends or relatives because the family cannot afford adequate housing
- Awaiting foster care placement
- Migratory children living in these conditions
According to the McKinney-Vento act, schools are required to enroll students who are identified as homeless although they may not have the required documents (immunization records, proof of residence, etc.). The student will be enrolled in their school of origin, (or last school attended) unless the parents/guardians request that the student be enrolled in the school that is in the area of their temporary residence. The student will receive transportation to their school of origin even if they are living outside of the district.
Click here to go to the McKinney-Vento Application:
- Transportation to school of origin
- Immediate enrollment into school of origin and full participation in school activities
- Health and wellness
- Fees – waived fees for school trips and activities
For further information, please contact:
School District Liaison for the McKinney-Vento Act
12309 22nd St NE
Lake Stevens, WA 98258