Highly Capable Program (HiCap)
Nominations & Testing
Highly Capable (HiCap) Program nominations for the 2022-23 school year for kindergarten through 12th-graders will be open between Nov. 1 and Nov. 30. Information and links to nominate your child will be posted here and communicated via email and text to families.
Universal Screening for 1st and 2nd graders
October - Universal Screening with a 20-minute assessment completed within classrooms
Highly Capable Program Testing Window
Testing will be done within school buildings during the school day.
- 3rd-5th grades testing in December
- Other grade levels testing in January-February
Determination Meetings and Family Notification of Qualification
- 3rd-5th grades: January
- Other grade levels: March
- Makeup Testing students: June
The Lake Stevens School District Strategic Plan states that highly capable students will experience rigorous and challenging content as well as cognitively demanding instruction, along with opportunities for creative and divergent thinking. Our comprehensive program begins at Kindergarten and spans through 12th grade. Our cadre of highly trained teachers is committed to providing a program that compacts and accelerates the curriculum. They design their lessons to add depth and complexity to the curriculum to keep our highly capable students working on the outer edges of their abilities.
Highly capable students often possess the following learning characteristics:
- Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations
- Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers
- Creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts
- Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength
- Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus
For additional information or questions, contact us:
- Sarah Danielson, Director of Student Intervention: 425-335-1589
- Samantha Sauter, HiCap Program Coordinator: 425-740-4217