Inspiring Excellence

Student Attendance Variances
The school a student attends is determined by each students residential address. If a student wishes to attend a school that does not serve the area of his/her residence, parents must request a variance. The variance is called 'Choice Transfer'.  Choice Transfers are approved or denied based on a number of reasons, including but not limited to, whether or not there is enough space for additional students.

Choice Transfers are granted for one full school year, or until the end of the current school year. Families wishing to remain at their non-residential school must remember to apply for a variance each year. 
Due to overcrowding in Lake Stevens School District’s schools, new enrollment for the 2016-17 school year is limited to those students who live within the school district boundaries. This means that new non-resident variances for students—including kindergarten—will not be approved. This may impact non-resident students who are already attending LSSD schools. (Remember, these students need to reapply annually, no later than June 1 of each year, in order to be considered for re-admission.)

In-District Transfer Request (Lake Stevens School to Lake Stevens School)
If you live within the boundaries of one Lake Stevens school, but want your student to attend a different Lake Stevens school, please complete an In-District Transfer Request Application. Area Transfer Request forms are available at any Lake Stevens School or the receptionist located at the Educational Service Center. They can also be downloaded from the District's webpage under School Board Policy 5011.F. Please return the completed form to the Business Office for a decision. Full details of procedures for acceptance and denial are listed in School Board Policy 5011 and under WAC 392-137-195.
Non-Resident Variance (Other school district to Lake Stevens School)
If you live outside Lake Stevens Schools boundaries and want to attend a Lake Stevens school, you must go to your home district’s administrative office and fill out their Non-Resident Release form (out-of-district variance). Your home district must sign this form before it is returned to the Business Office for a decision. Full details of procedures for acceptance and denial are listed in School Board- Policy 5020 and under WAC 392-137-195. 
Additional Information Needed for consideration:
  • Copy of Attendance Record (previous/current year)
  • Copy of Discipline Report
  • Copy of IEP/504 (If applicable)
Non-Resident Variance Release (Lake Stevens School to another school district)
If you live in the Lake Stevens School boundaries and want your student to attend a school in another district, you must fill out the Lake Stevens Schools’ Request for Release to Attend a Nonresident District. These forms are available at the receptionists desk located at the Educational Service Center or can be downloaded from the District's website under School Board Policy 5025.5. This form must be signed by the Superintendent's Office before it is submitted to the district where you are requesting attendance.

General Information
Falsification of an address, residence or conditions of living arrangements to obtain a school assignment may be cause for withdrawal of the student from that school. Written notice of intent to withdraw the student will be forwarded to the parent/guardian. Such falsification may also cause forfeiture of any future transfer rights through the highest-grade level of that school.

Students living with someone other than their parent/legal guardian must provide a legal guardianship agreement. Additional verification may be requested, e.g. letter describing the living arrangement from the family with whom the student resides. In the case of students placed in temporary homes on the advice or direction of a public agency, e.g., Juvenile Court, Department of Social & Health Services, written evidence provided by an agency shall be considered sufficient to demonstrate necessity of a residential change and/or school assignment.

If an eligible student is homeless per the Federal McKinney-Vento Act, the district shall not require proof of residency or any other information regarding an address and shall enroll the student at the request of the student or parent/guardian. Students enrolled in a district program for children without a legal residence may continue in that school until the end of the academic year.

Variances may be approved or denied based on:
  • Space or program availability and/or class size
  • Student's disciplinary records
  • Student's attendance patterns

Renewing Variances
Families must apply for a variance EVERY year that they want their student to attend a school that is not their neighborhood school. If a renewing variance is not received by June 1, the spot in the school the student is attending could be given away. Students would then be expected to enroll in their neighborhood school.

In all cases where the District approves a variance, the student or the student's parent(s) shall be solely responsible for transportation to and from school.
Applications will be reviewed in the order they were received. The District shall provide all applicants with written notification of approval or denial of the application within the following timelines:
  • Applications received by June 1, will be considered by June 30
  • Applications received by Aug. 31, may be considered on a case-by-case basis by Sept. 15
  • Applications received after Sept. 1, may be considered on a case-by-case basis within a timely manner.

Right to Appeal
Per RCW 28A.225.230(3) and WAC 392-137-190, parents/guardians have the right to appeal to OSPI to determine if the District complied with state statute, regulations, district policy and procedures.