- Highland Elementary
Summer Update from Mr. H - 07.09.19
This post is also available for download as a PDF.
From the desk of Ryan Henderson, Principal
Dear Highland Families,
A little summer check in for you from your friendly local elementary school. ;) Here are a few things for you to be in the know about as you navigate summer together as a family. School starts back up in a short 56 days -don't be caught off guard by reading this important info.
Goodbyes / See You Soons
At our end of the year assembly we honored several staff members who will not be at Highland in 19-20. These amazing people included retirees Bianca Anderson (paraeducator), Patrick Walker (teacher), and Carol Swanberg (evening custodian). They also include specialists and teachers who will be serving different schools: Allyson Boyce (teacher), Monique Thacker and Marc Horan-Spatz (psychologists), Danielle Colwell (Speech/Language) and Natali Rojas (teacher).
Some Summer "Homework" from Mr. H
- Encourage your student to participate in Highland’s Summer Reading Program. By simply reading each day, your child will not only keep their brain sharp and continue their daily reading habit, but will also earn a chance to win a free trip to Altitude trampoline park! If you want more info or need to download the forms, check out the Summer Reading Challenge (PDF). If your child is participating in a Silvertips or SnoIsle challenge, count the minutes for all the programs at the same time!
On a day where summer break has lost its lustre, brainstorm some ways your child might participate in our annual Reflections contest. Sponsored by our PTA, this is a way for your child to experiment with writing, composing music, visual arts, video production and dance. This year’s theme is Within Me. To show how meaningful this is for kids, check out a sweet throwback photo of Second Grade Mr. H. This is me with my trophy and $10 prize for winning the Reflections writing contest for my grade level for my hometown of Renton...back in the bowl-cut days of the 80s! For some inspiration, check out this video link from the PTA site.
The Highland office will reopen on Wednesday, August 21st through Friday, August 30th with the summer hours of 8:00-12:00 and 1:00-3:00 PM. Normal office hours resume on Tuesday, September 4th. If you have a specific need, you may email the office at email@example.com and you will hear back from us in August! If you have a friend or neighbor who's just moved into the neighborhood, send them our way on 8/21 OR if you are going to be at a different school in the fall, drop us a line to let us know. It helps us immensely in our planning!
Yes, there IS such a thing as a FREE lunch! Stop over to Sunnycrest daily between now and August 9. Deets are here.
For those of you who like to take advantage of those (offensively) early back to school sales, the standard elementary lists are here, by grade level.
Keep in the loop with your PTA.
They invite you to follow them at these links:
NEW TO HIGHLAND?
On Thursday, August 22nd at 1:00, I will be leading tours for families who are new to Highland. This tour will show you and your child the campus and will walk you through the important parts of the day, including arrival, dismissal, lunch, recess, and how to get help when you need it. (Please note: If you have attended the Kindergarten Initiation Day, there is no need to attend this tour!)
Save the Dates
Below my signature are a few key dates for you to know about for this school year!
As always, don’t hesitate to reach out of I can be of help to you and your family, or if you have any updates or stories to share. I can be reached at 360.618.2284 cell (text anytime), by voicemail at 425.335.1590 or by simply replying to this message.
See you soon – maybe even at Safeway, Starbucks or Lundeen Park, three places I seem to be a lot this summer!
All my best,
Mr. H Ryan Henderson | Principal
Highland Elementary | Lake Stevens, WA
Some initial Key Dates for 2019-20 at Highland
- Tues. 9/3/19 Pop and Drop Grades 1-5 Time TBA - drop your child's supplies, meet their new teacher, and enjoy a cold treat on the playground
- Wed. 9/4 First Day of School for grades 1-5
- Mon. 9/9 First Day of School for Kinder
- 9/4-6 Kindergarten Family Connection Meetings by appointment - bring your child with you!
- Thurs. 9/12/19 Open House, Curriculum Night and PTA BBQ Grades K-5 Time TBA - your one-stop-shop for info, connecting and yummy dinner
- Picture day 10/3/2019
- Picture retake day 11/12/2019
- Highland Family Fun Night 3/12/2020 (this year's version of STEAM/Adventure/Math Marvels night!)
- 10/21/2019 to 10/25/2019
- 2/24/2020 to 2/28/2020
- 12/10 - 2/3 concerts at HLD (2nd at 6:15, 3rd at 7:15)
- 3/26 - 4/5 concerts at PAC (4th at 6:15, 5th at 7:15)
- 5/13 - K/1 concerts at PAC (K at 6:15, 1 at 7:15)